September is always a time for summer camp to start anew.
The buildings and the grounds get a much needed rest after the summer camp season. It is a chance for full-time staff to catch up on work that has been set aside for a less busy time.
This September is new to us here at Pearce Williams as our long time Summer Camp Director, Jessica "Ica" Tenhor, has moved on from working here at camp and is now pursuing a teaching certificate and hoping to become a teacher in the future.
Here is a note from Ica:
Dear Campers, Parents, Guardians, Staff, Alumni, Friends,
As the summer of 2016 comes to a close, so does my time as Summer Director. It is hard to write, but even harder to say out loud. I have spent the last eleven summers at Pearce Williams Christian Centre, and the past five have been as the Summer Director.
This September, a dream of mine – becoming a teacher – will start to become a reality. I will be spending the next two years in Teachers College, learning all that I can to become the best teacher I can be.
The overall theme for our summer this year is Roots. Our Bible verse for this theme is Colossians 2:7. It says,
“Let your roots grow down into Him, and let your lives be built on Him. Then your faith will grow strong in thetruth you were taught, and you will overflow with thankfulness.”
During Family Camp at the beginning of the summer, I was asked to share my Roots story. I had never thought about my life in terms of my Roots story before. After much deliberation, I narrowed my roots, or my passions, down to three categories – Faith, the outdoors, and working with kids.
I have been blessed to work in a place that allows me to not only experience all three of these roots, but also one that challenges me to grow these passions further. Working at Pearce Williams has given me the confidence I didn’t know I had, the very useful skills of flexibility, initiative, and toilet plunging, as well as a deeper passion to guide people as they learn and grow.
Knowing that this summer is my last as Summer Director, it has been a summer of many emotions.
- I am happy when I hear the fun the campers and staff are having week after week.
- I am content when I lay in a grassy field watching the night sky and talk to a camper about life.
- I am proud when I see staff accomplish a new skill or do something special with their campers.
- I am amazed when campers share their talents and passions with each other and with staff.
- I am amused as I watch the kitchen staff jamming out while they chop lettuce and do the dishes.
- I am sad when I think ahead to all of the moments I will miss next summer.
- I have been overflowing with thankfulness all summer long as I have watched God at work all around camp.
As I look back on this summer and summers past, I thank the Lord for all that He has blessed me with. I will always be thinking of camp and the greatness that camp has had in my life.
Keep on Smiling
Jessica “Ica” Tenhor
Summer Camp Director
Thank you Ica for all of your work, dedication and smiles.